Our agency partners with more than 3,400 lessees on a variety of lease activities. We present three annual awards to exemplary lessees. Winners are presented with their awards at our annual December board meeting.
Lessee of the Year Award
This premier award is granted to an exemplary State Land Board lessee. The lessee has a demonstrated superior stewardship practices, worked cooperatively with agency staff, and helped generate revenue for the agency's beneficiaries.
- The 2019 winner is Nelson Ranch Inc. Eugene and Kathy Nelson attended the Land Board's award ceremony in December 2019 to receive their award.
- The 2018 winner is ConocoPhillips for its lease at Lowry Ranch in Arapahoe County.
- The 2017 winner is the Tanner Cattle Company, LLC for their lease of Bohart Ranch in El Paso County.
Legacy Lessee Award
In the spirit of encouraging and fostering the next generation of agriculture leaders in the state of Colorado, this award is granted to a State Land Board lessee who has assigned their lease to a non-familial younger lessee (a lessee 40-years-old or younger).
- The 2019 winner is Phyllis Webb for her lease assignment in Northeastern Colorado.
- The 2018 winner is Gary Short for his lease assignment in Kit Carson County.
- The 2017 winner is the Everitt family for their lease assignment to Prairie School RE-11J in New Raymer.
Bloom Stewardship Award
This award is granted to a State Land Board lessee who has demonstrated exceptional stewardship practices. Award winners are recognized for their commitment to protecting the environment while maintaining profitable operations. The Bloom Stewardship Award winner is notable for their desire to leave the land in better shape for future generations. This award is named in recognition of former State Land Board Commissioner Mike Bloom for her tireless dedication to sound stewardship practices in support of the agency's beneficiaries.
- The 2019 winner is Badger Creek Ranch, LLC in South Central Colorado.
- The 2018 winner is the Temple family for their leases in Southwestern Colorado.
- The 2017 winner is the Trainor Cattle Company, LLC for the lease of Lowry Ranch in Arapahoe County.