Our agency works with more than 3,400 lessees and partners on a variety of lease activities. We present four annual awards to exemplary lessees and partners. Winners are presented with their awards at our annual December board meeting.
Lessee of the Year Award
This premier award is granted to an exemplary State Land Board lessee. The lessee has demonstrated superior stewardship practices, worked cooperatively with agency staff, and helped generate revenue for the agency's beneficiaries.
The 2022 winner is Ben Guillon and Table Top Conservation Company for their ecosystem services lease in Larimar County.
- The 2021 winner is Edmundson Beef LLC for their agriculture lease in Sugar City, CO. Watch the video.
- The 2020 winner is Chaquaco Cattle Co for the agriculture and recreation leases at Chancellor Ranch in Trinidad, CO. They are featured in this video.
- The 2019 winner is Nelson Ranch Inc. Eugene and Kathy Nelson attended the Land Board's award ceremony in December 2019 to receive their award.
- The 2018 winner is ConocoPhillips for its lease at Lowry Ranch in Arapahoe County.
- The 2017 winner is the Tanner Cattle Company, LLC for their lease of Bohart Ranch in El Paso County.
Legacy Lessee Award
In the spirit of encouraging and fostering the next generation of agriculture leaders in the state of Colorado, this award is granted to a State Land Board lessee who has assigned their lease to a non-familial younger lessee (a lessee 40-years-old or younger).
The 2022 winner is the Knutson family of Limon, CO.
- The 2021 winner is Mr. and Mrs. Norlin Cavender for their lease assignment in Adams County. Watch their video.
- The 2020 winner is Darrell Albrandt for his lease assignment in Northeastern Colorado. He is featured in this video.
- The 2019 winner is Phyllis Webb for her lease assignment in Northeastern Colorado.
- The 2018 winner is Gary Short for his lease assignment in Kit Carson County.
- The 2017 winner is the Everitt family for their lease assignment to Prairie School RE-11J in New Raymer.
Bloom Stewardship Award
This award is granted to a State Land Board lessee who has demonstrated exceptional stewardship practices. Award winners are recognized for their commitment to protecting the environment while maintaining profitable operations. The Bloom Stewardship Award winner is notable for their desire to leave the land in better shape for future generations. This award is named in recognition of former State Land Board Commissioner Mike Bloom for her tireless dedication to sound stewardship practices in support of the agency's beneficiaries.
The 2022 winner is the Welch family of Fowler, CO.
- The 2021 winner is Emmett Jordan in Weld County. Watch his video.
- The 2020 winner is SLW Ranch in Weld County. They are featured in this video.
- The 2019 winner is Badger Creek Ranch, LLC in South Central Colorado.
- The 2018 winner is the Temple family for their leases in Southwestern Colorado.
- The 2017 winner is the Trainor Cattle Company, LLC for the lease of Lowry Ranch in Arapahoe County.
Outstanding Partner Award
This award is presented to an outstanding partner to recognize that their collaboration with staff and/or lessees has helped the agency more successfully fulfill our mission. A "partner" is defined as any individual or entity who may or may not be a lessee: they may be a customer or they may be an unpaid or paid contractor/partner/vendor/researcher/etc.
The 2022 winners are John Twitchell and the Colorado State Forest Service for their management of more than 300,000 acres of forested trust land.
The inaugural 2021 winner was Trout Unlimited, led by Kevin Terry. Watch the video.